Passi City, Iloilo
Passi City (Kinaray-a: Siyudad kang Passi/Siyudad ka Passi Hiligaynon: Siyudad sang Passi Tagalog: Lungsod ng Passi) is a fourth class city in the province of Iloilo in the Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 79,663 people. It has a total land area of 25,139 hectares (62,120 acres), making up 5.39% of the provincial land area of Iloilo. Its relatively flat land stretches alongside the Jalaur and Lamunan rivers.
Passi is a rice, pineapple, and sugar-rich area and the only component city and the largest in the Province of Iloilo in terms of land area, population and income. It is popularly with its slogan “The Sweet City at The heart of Panay” due to its vast pineapple plantations and annual output in fruit production.
Aerial view of Passi City Bus Terminal Complex and IBRD Expressway going to Capiz and Aklan (north) and Iloilo City (south)
The City of Passi is centrally located on the island of Panay and can be reached by Iloilo – Capiz highway, within 45 minutes from Iloilo City and one hour to Roxas City.
The City of Passi is located south of Dumarao, southeast of Bingawan, east of Calinog, northeast of Dueñas, north of San Enrique, and southwest of San Rafael.
Passi like most of the Iloilo’s towns, belong to the third type climate region which has no pronounced maximum rain period and no distinct dry and wet season while it is not within typhoon belt but it has its own share of typhoons that visits the province of Iloilo occasionally.
The city is traversed by 5 major rivers namely (1) Jalaur River (2) Lamunan River (3) Hin-ayan River (4) Asisig River and (5) Maliao River. It also has creeks and tributaries which can be tapped for irrigation purposes.
Potable water resources can also be tapped from natural springs or from ground water which is bountiful in the area especially in the barangays of Imbang Grande, Bayan, Sarapan, Sablogon, and Jaguimitan.
As of this time, the barangays of Agdayao and Quinagaringan Gde. has level III type water supply and the Barangays of Jaguimitan and Bagacay has level II type of water system. The water needs of the Poblacion is served by the City of Passi which get its supply from the six deep wells and two springs at Brgy. Sablogon, Bacuranan and Man-it.
It is composed of 38 rural barangays and 13 urban barangays, listed here with their respective population as of 2010.
- Agdahon – 1,466
- Agdayao – 1,284
- Aglalana – 3,335
- Agtabo – 1,721
- Agtambo – 1,174
- Alimono – 2,738
- Arac – 1,429
- Ayuyan – 634
- Bacuranan – 1,101
- Bagacay – 863
- Batu – 1,328
- Bayan – 687
- Bitaogan – 2,051
- Buenavista – 530
- Buyo – 761
- Cabunga – 1,246
- Cadilang – 929
- Cairohan – 1,210
- Dalicanan – 2,039
- Gemat-y – 1,055
- Gemumua-Agahon – 3,711
- Gegacjac – 526
- Gines Viejo – 1,945
- Imbang Grande – 2,227
- Jaguimitan – 2,653
- Libo-o – 684
- Maasin – 806
- Magdungao – 2,248
- Malag-it Grande – 701
- Malag-it Pequeño – 276
- Mambiranan Grande – 576
- Mambiranan Pequeño – 580
- Man-it – 4,295
- Mantulang – 515
- Mulapula – 1,458
- Nueva Union – 2,265
- Pangi – 767
- Pagaypay – 567
- Poblacion Ilawod – 6,559
- Poblacion Ilaya – 3,473
- Punong – 374
- Quinagaringan Grande – 1,187
- Quinagaringan Pequeño – 1,011
- Sablogon – 1,849
- Salngan – 2,826
- Santo Tomas – 2,061
- Sarapan – 1,048
- Tagubong – 2,048
- Talongonan – 1,440
- Tubod – 862
- Tuburan – 544
Although its young distinction as a city, Passi is considered to be one of the oldest Spanish settlements in Iloilo. It was organized as a pueblo in 1766 with Don Martin Saligumba as its first leader. But the place has actually been settled by Malay migrants long before the arrival of the Spaniards.
According to popular legend, Spanish conquistadors stumbled on a small hut by the river’s bank where an old woman was fond winnowing pounded rice. One of them asked her, “¿Cómo se llama este lugar?” not knowing the native language of course. Much to the old woman’s surprise and perhaps excitement, she replied without much ado, “Ah, pasi,” which means some of the unhusked rice on her basket held in both hands. She must have thought that they were eager to know what was in the basket and what she was doing, because she could not understand their language. From that time on, the Spanish begun to call the place Pasi at first until it later evolved into Passi. Such legends about name origins are common throughout towns and cities in the Philippines, the core plot being a Spaniard asking the non-Spanish speaking natives what the name of the place is and the latter responding in what would end up eventually as the name of the place.
Its conversion as a city was made through the signing of R.A. 8469 on the 30th day of January, 1998 by the Former President of the Philippines, Pres. Fidel V. Ramos.
It is said that the first Spanish settlement was established in the area in 1766, marking the onset of Spanish colonial rule. In the traditional story, Spanish explorers anchored in Ansig, a place located at the mouth of Lamunan River. The name of the city is probably derived from Pasi, a Hiligaynon word meaning “unhusked grains of palay.”
In 1957, the sitio of Agtabo in the barrio of Salngan was converted into a barrio. In the same year the barrio of Santa Rosa was renamed Santo Tomas.
Passi then became progressive and had experience tremendous development over the period. Because of its strategic location, Passi became a center for trade and commerce bringing more investment opportunities to the municipality. Its high income, high population growth, and a big area of land has finally bring into the limelight and recognized as the first component city in the Island of Panay. After a hard-earned endeavor, its conversion as a city was made through the signing of R.A. 8469 on the 30th day of January, 1998 by the Former President of the Philippines, Pres. Fidel V. Ramos.
Culture and festivals
Kinaray-a is the most spoken language, although Hiligaynon, Filipino and English are also widely understood.
Some festivals in the province of Iloilo have either come back from near extinction or have evolved. And because of this, efforts have been undertaken by the community to breathe life into these cultural presentations that form part of a larger program of the tourism initiatives of the province to fully claim the title as the festival capital of the region, and to promote Ilonggo culture through the revival and preservation of traditional music and dances.
Pintados de Pasi Festival
Artistic tattoos are one of the distinct features of the Pintados de Pasi Festival
The Pintados de Pasi Festival, in Passi City, central of Iloilo province, is one way of celebrating the cityhood of Passi in March 1998. This festival is perhaps one of the best known and established festivals of the Visayan region that have evolved through the years. It has played a big part in the lives of most Passinhons. It is the most popular spectator cultural event and the most popular for the community that has a large following. Theatrical-like street dancing performances are a celebrated part of the Pintados festivity that is characterized by heavy and aggressive body movements. Here, performers adorned in traditional body tattoo with elaborate geometrical designs in their body, including their arms, legs and torso dramatizes stories in which the towns’ ancestral beings laid down every feature of the area, especially, their way of life.
Characterized by heavy and aggressive body movements, the dances seem to have developed independent of any external influences, as in the combat dances, folk plays, ritual actions, or character types. Historical or cultural sources are essential materials in sustaining a festival such as theirs. The festivity changed over the years, though its cultural presentation remained popular up to this day, and has resurrected and form part in a celebration that reflected function and transition. It also represented a major change in style and subject matter.
Panay Island has a very rich cultural heritage. Dubbed as the cradle of civilization, its glorious past is diverse. Its fertile folklore has become the envy of other cultures that many have wanted to disprove them but to no avail.
Bb. Pintados 2011 Coronation Pageant
The Island pride itself of the epic of Hinilawod and the story of ten Bornean datus. Its imposing landscape is a good mind of narratives that were passed on from generation to generation and have been preserved in the hearts of its people. The first inhabitants of the Island called it Aninipay, after the name of the plant that was then abundant in the area. When the Malayans came, they named it Madia-as, which was the name of the highest peak in the Island.
The name Panay was given only after the Spaniards came to the Island. When Miguel Lopez de Legaspi settled in Cebu, he was faced with a problem of food storage. Hidden sent his men to scour the surrounding Island for food and one of the boats reached Madia-as. Having found plenty of food in the place, the crew returned to Cebu and reported the news to Legaspi who exclaimed in thanksgiving “Pan hay in este isla “food there is on the island!)”. The first two words eventually identified the island.
But unknown to many, the first batch of Spaniards that reached the island gave a different name to it. They called it “Isla de Pintados” after seeing tattooed men whom they called pintados or “painted people.” The art tattooing was practiced all throughout the island. The chronicler Miguel de Loarca, in his account in Historia Pre-Hispanica de Filipinas Sobre la Isla de Panay, described the pintado practice, thus: “The mean tattoo intire bodies with beautiful figures using small pieces of iron dipped in ink. This ink incorporate itself into the blood and the marks are indelible.”
Culturally, the inhabitants of Panay used tattoos to exhibit their record in battle. The more tattoo marks a man had on his body, the higher his status as a warrior. The elegance of the pintado practice has raised tattooing into the level of art. They do then with such order, symmetry, and coordination that they elicit admiration from those who see them.
While the men put tattoo all over their body, it was a rule in the old Panay society that women only wear tattoos on one side of their arms.
Sinadya sa Suba, which is held on a Saturday before the Tribe Competition is one way of showing the people to preserve the Jalaur River which played an important role in the city’s history.
According to one account, while a group of Spaniards who had settled in Calinog went downstream of the Jalaur River and anchored in a place called Ansig, they saw a tattooed woman who Was winnowing pounded palay. One of them asked her what the name of the place is. The woman, who did not understand Spanish, thought that the man was asking what she was doing and replied “naga-pangpasi” which means peaking out unhusked rice from pounded palay. From then on, the Spaniards called the place “Pasi” which later involved into “Passi”. As the Spaniards begun to Christianize the inhabitants of Panay, the friars believed the tattooing was a pagan practice and forced the natives to abandon the art, thus resulting to the disappearance of the pintado culture.
However, the practice did not escape the eyes of historians who recorded it with respect and veneration that this form of art deserve. For many, it was a practice that ought not only to be preserved but also to be revived in some other ways to highlight the fact that during the pre-Spanish era, an advanced civilization of artistic people had already flourished in this part of the archipelago. It is in this context that Passi City, one of the earliest Malayan settlement in the island, embarks on this project to showcase and revive one of Panay’s rich cultural legacies from its ancestors.
ImageTourism, through this cultural celebration brings thousands of local and international visitors interested to know the city’s rich history, considerable scenic beauty, and a number tourism attraction. The Passinhon 2000 Incorporated devotes their efforts of promoting the festival in the local and national scene. These efforts focus on the cultural festivity—at least in the early promotional stage, is the best way to keep it alive, and a variety of innovative efforts are underway to do just that. Last 2005, Pintados de Pasi was hailed as champion during the 2005 Dinagyang Festival in Iloilo City. The said tribe represented the Iloilo Province during the 2005 Aliwan Festival in Manila. Again, Passi was hailed as the overall champion. This year, 2008 marks the 10th Foundation Anniversary. Body painting as well as carabao(water buffalo) painting contests are being practiced followed by a beauty pageant, a boat and bicycle racing events, and a tribal dancing competition.
Christmas in the City
Christmas in the City is held every middle of December until the first Sunday of January in the next year. Aside from the opening of lights, and grand fireworks display at Plaza Paloma, the opening of food stalls also go underway, that is why this celebration in more popularly called as “Food Festival” instead. The entire streets surrounding the plaza (F. Palmares St., A. Panes St., Saligumba St., M. Palmares St.) are closed since the kiosks and tables and chairs are placed to accommodate visitors and tourists.
Feast of St. William the Hermit
Passi City celebrates the feast of its patron saint, San Guillermo de Ermita (St. William the Hermit) on the 10th of February along with the coronation of a fiesta queen.
The physical resources of Passi consists of relatively good soil types along rolling hills and narrow valley plains with substantial surface and ground water, with no distinct dry and wet season which is suitable for a wide range of agricultural products like rice, sugarcane, and pineapple. When the sugar industry experience a slump due to falling sugar prices and quotas in the world market, farmers diversified into other agricultural products like corn, pineapple, mongo, root crops, and other farm- based products. The City has investment potentials for Agri- Industrial developments.
Passi is a 4th class component city with this year’s annual income of P300,860,719-General Income, P26,732,922-Special Educational Fund, P37,287,853-Trust Fund, with a total current operating income of P364,881,424 .
Passi City has played an important role in reaching its peak of progress. Centrally situated in the province, Passi City is locally important as the District Agri-Industrial Center of Iloilo with three sugar centrals. It is rich with agriculture resources that have long formed the backbone of its economy and agricultural diversification produces crops such as rice, corn, vegetables, coconut, sugarcane and pineapple. Passi City has been an important pineapple producer for years, it has long been known for other industries including fruit processing, wallboard production, metalworking production and cut-flower propagation. Its locally produced pineapple wine, jam and fruit preserves have already established captured market with its exposure to various local trade fairs and exhibits such as the annual Fiesta in the City celebration during May; TUMANDOK in September; and WOW Philippines: the Best of the Region.
Passi, a component city (R.A. No. 8469 by Pres. Fidel Valdez Ramos last January 30, 1998.) is bounded on the north by San Enrique; Dumarao, Capiz on the south; east by Calinog; and Lemery on the west. Predominantly a mountainous area, it is politically divided into 51 barangays. It is about 50 kilometers from the city of Iloilo, 70 kilometers from the city of Roxas and has an area of 25,139 hectares or 251.39 km2—the largest in the province.
According to recent census, Passi City had a population of 82,869. An influx of Cebuano and Tagalog-speaking businessmen and investors in the years increased their numbers and were added. The Passinhon people are predominantly Karay-a-speaking, with Roman Catholicism as the religion of 95 percent of its population.
Industrial development is one of the priority concerns of the local unit being one of the five Agro-Industrial district in the Province and the site for People’s Industrial Enterprise (PIE’s) District Agro-Industrial Center (PAIC) in the 4th District. The PIE’s / DAIC’s provide intermediate processing of indigenous raw materials produced in their respective influence area for final processing at the DAIC. They also manufacture finished goods cooperative advantage for such manufacturing activities would prove viable.
Famous attractions in the city are the wide pineapple plantations, the cock farms, the Baroque Church of Saint William, the old Mascuvado Chimney, the Chameleon Butterfly Garden, the Amorotic caves of Brgy. Magdungao, the breath-taking highway view with good sunset and the old Railway Bridge which needs some preservation and attention spanning the Jalaur River.
Recently, CCTV cameras were installed along city proper roads, public market, and bus terminal due to sudden increase in crimes this 2010 to 2011.
Passi City being the center of trade and business outside Iloilo City, several banking institutions are presently serving in the city and the surrounding municipalities.
Gaisano Capital Passi
Being the component city of Iloilo Province, Passi serves as the major shopping destination outside the province’s capital city. Several department stores and shopping centers are located in the downtown, such as Gaisano Capital Passi, so far the only shopping mall in Passi. But despite the presence of this shopping center, their numbers still continues to grow as Passi is getting bigger as an urban area.
During the very huge success of the grand opening of Gaisano Capital in Passi City last October 2010, many businessmen were enticed to establish new businesses in the city. There were rumors that SM and Robinson’s will also have their malls here at Passi quite soon, however, a recent city ordinance explained that a newly-opened mall or any large establishment are given the chance to operate for five years prior to its grand opening before another counterpart establishments operate their businesses in the city.
St. William The Hermit Parish Church
This is considered a militaristic church in that it was planned as a ‘fortress church’ and the proof of this can be seen in the massive buttresses which support the front and back walls of the church. The church was built to replace churches that had been destroyed by an earthquake in 1612 and subsequent churches that had been destroyed by fires.
In 1856 Friar Pedro Ceberio restored the church that had fallen into disrepair and what we see today is the result of his work.
As is usual in churches of this vintage that can immediately discern that it was built, once again, by the Augustinians since their seal appears in the archway over one of the side entrances. It is said that the historical record is vague on the topic of entrances that indicates that historians are not certain as to where the actual main entrance was placed by the original builders. It appears that it may well have been this doorway on the southeast corner of the church at the entrance of the ‘Garden of Saints’.
All was well with the church through the Revolution and the Philippines American War but in 1932 the roof was blown away by a typhoon.
The church is surrounded by a ‘Garden of the Saints’ which contains 25 to 30 statues of Saints that have been placed in the garden by parishioners over the years.
Perhaps the most striking feature of the entire church is the sanctuary, which when is light up is both dramatically breathtaking and simply beautiful.
Inside the very tall belfry of the church are the three bells, two of which are massive ones and the other one is a small one. To ring the large one, they need to step on the chain that is attached to the bell’s clapper to make it hit the sound rim. The harder it is stepped on it the louder would the sound be. The two other bells are rung manually. They have to hold the two clappers together and hit them to the sound rim to make them work. This makes the bell ringer so close to the bells when ringing them.
Discovery and foundation
The discovery of Passi, at the same time its foundation as a mission parish by the Spanish explorers for Panay Island occurred in 1584. It was placed under the patronage of St. William whose feast had since then been celebrated every February 10. In 1593, Padre Juan Villamayor, an Augustinian friar, became its first resident priest. The first mission church was made out of light materials and located near the riverbank of Jalaur River. In 1600 the church was transferred from the old site to its present location. The foundation and the walls were made of stones, slabs and lime. The parishioners were made to carry the needed materials every time they went to the church. The construction was finished during the time of Padre Pedro Ceberio when Salvador “Badong” Panes Perfecto was the Captain of the town.
Schism and Abaca
Around 1821 during the time of Padre Apolinario Villanueva, Schism ensued between him as Parish Priest and the Spanish Populace of the town. He transferred the seat of the Parish Church to Abaca where he constructed a chapel. When Padre Martin succeeded him, the seat of the parish church was returned to Passi.
With the concurring Filipino Revolution against the Spanish government, there was a clamor of the Filipino Clergy for reforms. Padre Rafael Murillo, the Parish Priest then was a good follower and supporter of the Aglipay. He was elevated to the rank of an Aglipayan Bishop not long brought with him his family. To support his family, he demanded tributes from the people. The Passinhons under Captain Badong Perfecto strongly objected and Padre Joaquin was removed not long after.
The Bells and the Belfry
The bells were brought from Spain to Passi in 1873. Along with the finishing of the construction of the belfry, which is a tall tower separate from the main church, the two massive bells and a small one were installed.
Last Spanish Friar
Padre Lorenzo Diaz, a Catholic Augustinian Priest administered the Parish. The year 1891 saw the last Spanish Augustinian Parish Priest of Passi in Padre Bravo.
Reverend Father Amado Panes Perfecto
In 1893, after three centuries of Christianization, Passi was able to produce its first priest, Padre Amado Panes Perfecto. He studied in the University of Salamanca in Spain and graduated a Doctor of Canon Law, which at that time was a rare privilege. He was appointed the first Filipino Priest of Passi. He constructed the most beautiful convent in the Diocese furnished with carved furniture and imported chinaware and utensils. One of his remaining masterpieces is the “Flores de Mayo Salve” which has become part of the tradition of the town.
World War II
World War II was conflagration for the Passinhons. Fire gluttered all the Spanish built houses of the town. The guerillas burned all the buildings leaving the town empty for the occupying Japanese. Nothing was left of the wooden structure of both church and convent but the stones. Even the belfry did not survive the harshness of the combat. The tall tower was wrecked; making the entire bells fell down to the ground. No damage was found except for the other massive bell, which had a very slight crack on it. The church was made the garrison of the Japanese forces and later the headquarters of the Residence Civil Government.
The reconstruction of the church took a gradual development. The wood and nipa roofing of the church was constructed during the time of Padre Parreñas. Wooden posts were placed at the Eastern side of the church as temporary area to place the bells, since the belfry was damaged during the war. When Padre Buenaflor took over, he had the roof changed into galvanized iron. The improvement of the altar which was transferred by Padre Parreñas to the main entrance of the church was done during the time of Padre Castaño. The present church with its steel trusses, washed walls, benches, and a new but permanent belfry, together with the old parish convent already demolished, the Assumption School and the former Social Hall, were all constructed as projects of Msgr. Eligio Villavert, the 81st Parish Priest of Passi.
Final Restoration and Renovation
It was 1997 when the Parish of St. William was graced with another Passinhon Priest. Msgr. Felipe Dativo Palomo, P.C., fully supported by the Parish Councils and the Passinhon Parishioners both local and abroad decided to venture into ambitious but necessary projects. In the year 2000, the completion and the blessing of the Jubilee Hall, the largest and tallest parish convent in the whole Diocese was witnessed. After the completion, behind the church, the attention of the parishioners and Msgr. Palomo were directed to the uncompleted church. The main entrance is nowhere to be found, making Passi Church one of its kind. The landscaping of the Western side of the church and the installation of the statues of the saints took place. The altar was transferred to its original place, to give way to the restoration of its original main entrance. The altar has been beautifully restored according to the Augustinian’s original architectural design. The ornate granite flooring, echo-proof ceiling, decorative stained glasses, a huge steel door at the main entrance and modern lighting facilities were installed. On the Eastern side, one can see the Avenida de la Virgin Maria, the Adoration Chapel, parking area, and the very huge relief map of Passi City.
In October 26, 2010, the Church of St. William the Hermit had its Solemn Dedication, an annual festivity which the Parishioners will celebrate to continue recalling the extra graciousness God has abundantly bestowed in the Christian Community of Passi.
F. Palmares Sr. Street
It is also known as the “Calle Real” of Passi City. This street is an old national highway when going to the Province of Capiz or Aklan. At present, it is used as an alternative national road going to Iloilo Airport.
The New City Hall of Passi City
Built in 1995 as a new municipal hall, but in 1998, it is redesigned to become the new city hall. It is located at Corner Monfort Avenue-Casamayor Street.
The Old Municipal Hall
The municipal hall was built in 1930 and it is one of the only surviving Pre-war infrastructures in Passi. Presently, it houses the office of the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR), Commission on Elections (COMELEC), Post Office, and Conference Hall. The old municipal hall is sometimes known as “Residencia Passi”.
St. William The Hermit Parish Church Convent
The largest and tallest parish convent in the whole Archdiocese has two reception halls (Jubilee Hall and Lamunan Hall) that can be used in various occasions such as wedding reception.
Located just in front of the old municipal hall. The large pineapple restroom is one of the most attractive feature of the said park. The park also has a multipurpose sporting court for the people who want to do recreational activities such as playing badminton, tennis and others.
Paseo de Passi
Just few meters away from plaza paloma, is a brick floored paseo that is a perfect place for people who are fond of doing fitness exercises.
Passi City Public Market
The new public market of Passi is the largest in the whole Iloilo Province.
Old Jalaur Railway Bridge
One of the fewest railroad bridges left in the whole Panay. It is one of the major landmarks of Passi that needs further preservation.
The muscovado chimney of Passi Sugar Central is the largest and tallest in the whole Panay island.
Passi, being one of the educational center of the Province of Iloilo, has establishments in all levels of education. The services offered range from pre-school learning centers to technical and tertiary schools. Here are some of the major schools in Passi City:
Passi National High School
Special Science Class students are carefully trained to become outstanding individuals in the society. Here, the SSC students along with their teachers joined the 15th Regional Intel Science Fair and representing their thesis.
Established in 1945, Passi National High School was once an extension campus of Iloilo High School (now Iloilo National High School). The school has one of the finest sporting fields in the whole province, that’s why Passi is always hosting some of the province’s major sporting events such as Congressional and Integrated Meet. The school offers several programs such as:
Special Science Class
Also known as the school’s flagship program, it offers basic high school education plus advanced Science and Math subjects for the lower years, advanced College Chemistry and Physics subjects for the higher years, thesis, computer laboratories, libraries, and chances to join regional, national and international competition and seminars.
Special Program in the Arts
The programs offers specialization classes for students with talent in writing, singing, dancing, and drawing. Thesis is also taught in this program.
Evening Class Program
As the name says, a class held at night (6-9pm on school days). It is specially designed for people who wants to go to school but having no time to do so because they are working during daytime.
Vocational classes such as cooking, dressmaking, automotive, carpentry are taught in this class.
Offers basic high school education
Special Program on Agriculture, Technology, and Community Development
This program focuses on agriculture, technology, and community development.
Passi I Central School
It is established in 1936. The school is famous with its old gabaldon building which is once an extension office of Iloilo Provincial Capitol before the second world war. Aside from regular class, this school offers Special Education Programs in different fields:
SpEd Fast Learners
Similar to Passi National High School’s Special Science Class, SpEd FL offers advanced subjects in addition to basic elementary education.
SpEd Hearing Impaired
Offers classes for hearing impaired students.
SpEd Mentally Retarded
Offers classes for students who are mentally retarded.
SpEd Visually Impaired
Visually impaired students can attend classes in this program.
Assumption School Passi City
It is established in 1967. Assumption School is the oldest, largest, and one of the two catholic private school in Passi City.
Academia de San Guillermo
Established in 2001 as Holy Child Learning Center, then St. William Learning Center, and now Academia de San Guillermo, this educational institution is the other catholic and second largest private school in Passi. This school is popular for being “the first school in Passi City with CCTV Cameras per classroom”.
Passi Montessori International School, Inc.
Established in 2008, this school is the first and the only non-sectarian private school in Passi City with full DepEd Government Recognition (Preschool, Elementary & High School) in 2010. Passi Montessori is also accredited with FAPE (Fund Assistance in Private Education) in 2011, that gives subsidy to High School Students thru GASTPE/ESC.
Passi City College
Passi City College offers courses such as BS Education (elementary and high school), BS Business Administration, and BS Criminology.
Passi Trade School
This school offers vocational courses like automotive, welding, cooking and others.
Asia Pacific Manpower and Skills Training Center
This school primarily offers training for caregivers.
The City of Passi in its goal to have a healthy environment and thereby realized a healthy community has intensified its health programs and activities. Consequently, it has improved the health situation of the entire populace. Don Valerio Palmares Sr. Memorial District Hospital is the only medical center in Passi. There are other health institutions such as Medicus Passi and Fronthub Medilab and Clinics which also offer high quality health services.
More facts about Passi
- The history of this town dates back as early as 1766 when the first settlement was founded by three Malayan brothers named Dig-on, Tokiab and Umawang. Their first formal community was located on the site presently occupied by the Roman Catholic Church.
- The founding of the present poblacion of Passi was attributed to Don Martin Saligumba. His notable title “Don” indicated his leadership and power over the group.
- Rev. Fr. Dr. Amado Panes Perfecto, D.C.L. was the first Passinhon Parish Priest.
- Passi is the midpoint of the railway line between Iloilo and Capiz is the central terminal of the Philippine Railway Company.
- Passi was the pre-war capital of Iloilo Province in January 1942 to April 16, 1942 until the landing of Japanese Occupation Force.
- Passi was made the quartermaster depot of USAFE for the food of the army that resisted in Bataan through Capiz.
- All her building in the central school became the seat of the provincial government offices including the Agricultural and Industrial Bank and the Philippine National Bank before the Japanese landing in Panay.
- Passi has the first warehouse of the Compania General de Tabacos de Filipinas in Central Panay which lately became the Roman Catholic Church and also the warehouse of the USAFE for foodstuff for Corregidor and Bataan.
- Ibajay Cave and mountain northeast of the poblacion was the seat of the Municipal Resistance Government under Mayor Filoteo Palmares and Municipal Treasurer Pedro Oro during the war years.
- Passi Central Elementary School (now Passi I Central School) had the first clean and beautiful ground in the province before the war.
- One of the first regional high schools established in Iloilo was in Passi soon after liberation and one of the first to have acquired the widest site for high school of 12 hectares. Its athletic field cut from a hill and bulldozed by Mayor Palmares, leveled, improved, and beautified in time for the most lavished Unit Athletic Meet ever held in the interior in 1949-1959.
- The record of Passi in holding the First Provincial Athletic Meet in the interior before the war and in sustaining all the athletic delegations from different towns in Iloilo most abundantly and freely of which some meat uneaten were only given to them gratis et amore and some heads of cattle (surplus) sold for athletic fund ̶ still unbroken up to this day ̶ a feat that has never been or will ever be equaled in the history of athletic meets of Iloilo.
- In matters of bestowing the old Filipino traditional customs of being hospitable to individual visitor, visiting teams and districts, Passi’s record is yet unsurpassed because sumptuous foods and drinks offered by truckloads and caritos flow like water without reservation of any kind.
- Passi has the biggest cattle ranch in Panay before the war because of her wide grazing land.
- Passi therefore was the biggest supplier of meat for the army during the war and also the biggest supplier of rice and corn for sustenance of the guerilla forces and the Provincial Guards of the Civil Resistance Movement of Free Panay and Romblon Gov. Tomas Confesor.
- Passi, through her community school program, community education and improvement is beginning to regain her lost prestige and reputation as the cleanest and most beautiful town in the interior of Iloilo or elsewhere.
- During Spanish regime, Passi was very popular for being the home of wealthy families outside Iloilo City.
- Passi became the first component city of Iloilo in 1998.
Tell me what you think
Posted on: September 16, 2013,
by : MR Somo