San Enrique is a third class municipality in the province of Iloilo, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 32,422 people.
Out of the total land area of 8,772 hectares; 7572 hectares is devoted to Agriculture; 33.34 hectares in Industrial; 12 hectares in Commercial; 86 hectares in residential; 25 hectares in Institutional and 1,043.66 hectares in forest, rivers, marsh and swamps.
There are six mountains range that landmark the topography of this municipality:
Standing on their own right, the queen of these mountains is Mount Cañapasan, which is noted for its panoramic surrounding area. Its highest skyline makes vertical lift of 569 meters sea level. Second highest mountain is Mt. Bayoso with 405 meters above sea level. Located in the eastern part of the Poblacion, the grandeur and splendor of its crest is the seat of the towering RCPI, SMART, PLDT and other relay stations.
Besides from the small mountain ranges mentioned above, hilly to rolling is the several slope of the land. With slightly rolling and marginal flat land that blighted its landscape, this is utilized for lowland farming.
Generally, the soil type distribution in this area regardless of the land classification is clay and loam. This dominant in any topographic area.
San Enrique is politically subdivided into 28 barangays.
- Cabugao Nuevo
- Cabugao Viejo
- Gines Nuevo
- Imbang Pequeño
- Poblacion Ilawod
- Poblacion Ilaya
- San Antonio
Early San Enriquenhons
Early inhabitants of San Enrique may be traced back to the tribes of those great Datus who had move up the river of Jalaud and settled on promontory they called “Bontoc”. Following their customs and united by the bonds of kinship they built a community. Out of the flourishing settlement later rosegreat men like Manuel Paez, Modesto Palabrica and Apolinario Palabrica, who had earlier become Capitanes of the mother town of Passi. The names of Sanriago Pama, AugustoPalencia, Gregorio Aguilar, Bartolo Garrido, Cipriano Gonzales, Vicente Quianzon, and others surnamed Palabrica and Paez, had been elected to the position of Capitanes of Tenientes.
During an exploration talk held at the house of his aunt, Maura Ponte in Barangay Camiri, Prudente and his closest friends stressed the need to launch a movement aimed at separating San Enrique fromPassi. This was followed by a core group meeting at the old municipal building.In the presence of Ernesto Palabrica, Jose Lacsao, Crispin Lademora and Rodrigo Ponte, he laid down the mechanics for the reconstitution of the town into a separate political entity.
At the Assembly meeting called on November 25,1956, a big crowd clustered in the market place at the corner of of Palabrica and Manolo street. In his his stirring speech Dr. Zosimo Palencia, the no. 1 councilor of Passi assured them of his wholehearted support. Other impassioned speakers were Exequiel Garrido, Jesus Paclibar, Juan Ayupan, Ernesto Palabrica, Genaro Aguilar and Manuel Pama.
On July 12, 1957, Executive Order No. 259, creating the new Municipality of San Enrique, in the Province of Iloilo, was signed by Excellency Carlos P. Garcia, President of the Philippines.
San Enrique was separated from Passi through the efforts of the man who had no filial fies with anyone in the Municipality except by his official connection with them as representative. Congressman Aldeguer was the “Simon Bolivar”, in the emancipation of San Enrique.
During the first years of its existence as a municipality, San Enrique was confronted by heartbreaking problems. Those times were bitter, painful and discouraging. The Municipality was beset by financial crises, but the San Enriquenhons were able to move successfully against the stream of insurmountable odds.
The establishments of Passi Sugar Central in San Enrique, has considerably improved the economy of the Municipality. It has drawn workers, thereby enhancing its financial status.
However , in 1967, the San Enrique Community High School operated by the virtue of the law authored by Congressman Aldeguer in 1965. Since San Enrique is basically an agricultural town, the San Enrique National Agricultural and Vocational High School operated in1972. These two secondary high schools were eventually fused, becoming San Enique Agricultural College in June 10,1983 under Batas Pambansa 496. Republic Act number 6944 converted the school into San Enrique Polytechnic College and begun to function in June 10, 1991. Presently the school is ISCOF.
The face lifting and reshaping of a municipality lies on the hands of people with the guidance of responsible leaders. The reign of the municipality government of San Enrique from 1957 to present rested on the shoulders of the following people.