With a population of more than 50,000, Janiuay is considered to be a second class municipality in the province of Iloilo about 33 kilometers away from Iloilo City. It was established in 1769.
Janiuay prides itself of two heritage infrastructures dating back from 1760. The Janiuay Catholic Church was built of sandstone, lime stone and layered bricks and was completed in February 1770. Its belfry used to carry three magnificent bells, the largest weighing close to a ton. World War II damaged the belfry and the bells were lowered to ground after the war. The largest bell crashed down during the relocation and suffered a crack 18 inches in length from its lip upwards. When sounded it gives a distinct baritone rattling sound that can be heard for miles. It is now mounted in the new church’s belfry built in the late 60s.
Another heritage infrastructure is the Janiuay Cemetery. It was built much later in 1870 and is also walled with ancient sandstone and bricks brought from distant locale some 30 km away in what is now known as the town of Dingle. Spanish Fr. Llorente spearheaded the construction of this cemetery in the Gothic design of his time. The Janiuay town cemetery is located a kilometer east of Janiuay Catholic Church.
Rice, corn, sugar, copra, coffee, banana, abaca fiber, fowls (and game fowls), goat and cattle raising are the main livelihoods. Commerce for these products is generally brought into the town proper for market.
Janiuay can be accessed from all directions with good paved concrete and asphalt road infrastructures from the east, north and south. Mode of transport can either be jeepneys or tricycles.